Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Will He find us watching?

Last night I dreamed I was getting married. The thing was, though, I was sitting in the pews. And only when I heard them start playing "Here Comes the Bride" that I jumped up and said to myself, "Oh! That's ME!!!" Then I rushed out of the sanctuary to get dressed and the poor musicians had to pass the time figuring out something to play... and I didn't have my hair fixed (it was in a ponytail!!) and my dress didn't fit- and oh, it was awful!

I can't help but think of the foolish virgins, who weren't ready when the bridegroom came. Let's all be wise virgins and faithful servants, waiting and watching for our Lord's return.


When Jesus comes to reward His servants,
Whether it be noon or night,
Faithful to Him will He find us watching,
With our lamps all trimmed and bright?

Refrain
O can we say we are ready, brother?
Ready for the soul’s bright home?
Say, will He find you and me still watching,
Waiting, waiting when the Lord shall come?

If, at the dawn of the early morning,
He shall call us one by one,
When to the Lord we restore our talents,
Will He answer thee—“Well done”?

Refrain

Have we been true to the trust He left us?
Do we seek to do our best?
If in our hearts there is naught condemns us,
We shall have a glorious rest.

Refrain

Blessèd are those whom the Lord finds watching,
In His glory they shall share;
If He shall come at the dawn or midnight,
Will He find us watching there?

Refrain

(PS: For anyone interested, I can't remember who the groom was in my dream. It was someone I know, but I just don't remember now. Sorry. : ) )

5 Comments:

Blogger Susan said...

How interesting. Good analogy with the song and scripture. Thanks for the reminder. We definitely don't want to be left unprepared for either marriager or the second coming. And I don't mean fixing my hair either ;).

11/09/2005 3:10 PM  
Blogger Samara said...

That's a nice analogy. I used to have a horrible dream in which I was getting married, but had forgotten to invite my parents! I supposed it was an unconscious fear that I'd neglected to involve them as completely in my life as I ought.
Thanks for the comment at my blog!
In Christ-

11/09/2005 7:18 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

More on dreams about marriage (I was in a rush with my last post). . .

I've had plenty of dreams about getting married, but few where I know the guy. My sister has had oodles of dreams where I'm getting married to some guy that she doesn't like, or that I barely know, or something like that. Always very stressful dreams for her :).

A month or so ago she had her first (and so far only) positive dream about me getting married. She actually liked the guy and was happy, and she said in part of the dream he and I were driving around the yard in a horse and buggy. I had a good kick out of that one - sounds sort of like me ;).

11/09/2005 8:50 PM  
Blogger Jessie said...

Horse and buggy- how romantic!
I don't really have that many dreams about my (some-day) wedding, although I've had those stressful kind of dreams, where I'm marrying my best (read: only) guy-friend and neither of us loved the other and we knew it, and we knew we each wanted to marry someone else... oh, it was just awful! : )
And I think this was the only time that I was marrying someone 'good' and he was someone I know. Too bad (or not!) I can't remember which person it was! I know for sure it was one of two people, but it probably was one of those dreams where people switch around and everything. Crazy dreams. Sometimes I scare myself with the weird things I dream. "All of THAT is floating around in there!?!? Where does it come from??"
Snoopy flying like the Red Baron up in the sky above my head... driving two cars at once, not being able to figure out how to park them at the same time... killing a man with a belt in a department store because he kept tapping me on the shoulder and wouldn't leave me alone, and feeling horribly guilty afterwards... I mean, it gets ridiculous with me!

11/09/2005 9:45 PM  
Blogger Jessie said...

Thanks for looking at my blog, Samara! And for reminding us not to forget our parents : )

"Let them learn first to shew piety at home, and to requite (pay back) their parents: for that is good and acceptable before God." I Timothy 5:4b

11/09/2005 9:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home