Monday, October 31, 2005

Reformation Day Recipe

We celebrate Reformation Day at my church. October 31 is the day that Martin Luther nailed his 95 Theses on the door of the Castle Church in Wittenburg, which was a major catalyst in the revival God was bringing about in the 1600s. I often wonder if God didn't plan for it to be on the 31st just so Christians could have something worthwhile to celebrate on this day... : )

Tonight is our traditional Reformation Day Church Dinner, and I'll be bringing some pumpkin cookies for dessert. They really are cookies, but they're very cake-y and don't smooth out in the oven like other drop cookies do. Hence, they got officially dubbed "Pumpkin Lumpkins". You can leave the chocolate chips out if you want. (I like them, but everyone else says they'd like them better without.)

Pumpkin Lumpkins
yields about 7 dozen

1 cup transfat-free crisco (yes,.. I used crisco. I'm sorry.)
3/4 cup white sugar (yes,... I used that too. Sorry again.)
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 (15 oz) can pumpkin
2 cups whole wheat flour (I won't use white)
2 cups oat flour (grind oatmeal really well to measure this much)
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 pinch ground nutmeg
1 pinch ground cloves
1 cup chocolate chips, optional. You could use raisins if you wanted.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease cookie sheets.

Cream together the shortening and sugars until smooth. Beat in the eggs one at a time. Stir in the vanilla and pumpkin until well blended. in another bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and spices. Stir this into the pumpkin mixture. Fold in chocolate chips, if using.

Drop by teaspoonfuls onto the prepared cookie sheets.

Bake for 12 to 15 minutes in the preheated oven, until the edges begin to brown slightly and the bottoms are golden brown.

Remove from pans and cool on wire rack.

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10/31/2005 10:22 AM  
Blogger Susan said...

Hi, Jessica. Found your comment on my blog. I'm curious how you found me; always fun to find out connections on the internet. You sound like a kindred spirit :).

That is neat that your church celebrates reformation day. I wish mine did. Do you go to a reformed church?

I would suggest you choose the word verification feature for commentors to avoid spam like the comment from "tim."

I'll look forward to reading more on your blog.

10/31/2005 12:07 PM  
Blogger Jessie said...

Nice to meet you, Susan! I found you by searching for other people who typed "psalms" in their favorite music category!! I think you sound like a kindred spirit too- hope we can get to know each other better.
Yes, I go to a Free Presbyterian church and we are reformed. It's too bad your church doesn't celebrate this day! I'll pray for you- maybe you can start your own Reformation Day get-together for the people of your church. We usually watch some kind of historic documentary about some aspect of the Reformation at our church, after our dinner.
Speaking of which, if I don't get that casserole out of the oven, I'll be late!!
Thanks for the suggestion about the word-verification. I'm new to all this and I appreciate the advice. Although it does look good to see "2 comments" down there on my post! : )
Have a blessed evening!
In Christ,
Jessica
Psalm 78:70-72

10/31/2005 5:36 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

I saw your comment here, and then on my blog :) as well, just hadn't had a chance to respond before.

I am only just discovering the psalms, having recently purchased a psalter. I grew up (and am still in with my family) contemporary churches, so definitely no psalms in my worship background.

Yes, I wish my church would have a reformation day celebration. I have always wanted to attend one. My family is in the PCA, which is the largest evangelical Presbyterian denomination in the US, though too mainline for my tastes :). I have done a great deal of research on various presbyterian denominations, as church history and theology interest me, but I am not familiar (except by name) with the Free Presbyterian Church.

I look forward to reading more on your blog. Glad you found me :).

11/01/2005 8:41 AM  
Blogger Jessie said...

Susan,
Did you get the little red psalter with the flippy pages?? If you did, you'll know what I'm talking about. : ) If you didn't- well, that's alright. We have our own hymnals in our FP church, Hymns of Grace and Glory, and in the back is a psalter section. On our shelves is a set of those red Scottish Psalters which we get out on occasion.
I think it is honorable in you to remain under your father's authority by staying in his church even though you prefer something different. May God bless you in His time with a husband who believes as you do, so you may worship with him as God would lead you!
You can find out a little about my church by visiting http://www.freepres.org/church.asp?winston OR http://winston.sermonaudio.com.
If you're ever in the area, we'd love to have your family stop by for a visit!
How many siblings do you have, and what are their ages?
I have four brothers and two sisters, ages 13(g), 11(b), 9(b), 7(b), 4(g), and 1(b). Two of my brothers (11 and 7) live with my dad and stepmom. My parents divorced when I was very young and since have both remarried and all four parents are now saved. You've probably never met someone from a situation like that!! God can truly bring good out of bad.
Good to talk to you today.
Happy November!

11/01/2005 9:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Could you tell me, what is crisco? I have never heard of it before.

11/02/2006 3:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home