Thursday, November 17, 2005

Making Healthy Casseroles, Bread Recipes

This post kind of goes along with the discussion that's been happening over at Susan's. We've been talking about the evils of the Campbell's Cream-of-Salty-Junk Soups, and searching for alternative recipes. This is a quick article on the same topic, and here is a recipe that sounds good. I'll have to try it, maybe after Thanksgiving.

What do you get when you cross enchiladas with lasagna?
Why, Enchilasagna, of course!

2 cans enchilada sauce -- 10 oz. can
1 can tomato sauce -- 12-15 oz. can
1 pound ground beef, extra lean -- cooked and drained
1 tablespoon cumin
1 tablespoon garlic powder (woah! I'm not sure about using that much!)
12 each corn tortillas -- chopped into 6 pieces each
12 ounces black beans, canned -- drained
1 pound lowfat cheddar cheese -- or use jack cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 13 X 9 pan. In a saucepan, combine enchilada sauce and tomato sauce. Let simmer. Brown beef, drain and add seasonings and salt and pepper to taste. Add about 1/2 of the sauce to browned beef and set aside.

On the bottom of the pan, pour 3/4 cup of sauce and add about 1/3 of the beef mixture and then beans. Next, make a layer of corn tortillas, using 1/3 of what you have. Add more beef, 1/3 of the beans, 1/4 of the cheese.

Repeat these layers: corn tortillas, beef, bean and cheese, till everything is gone. Top with remaining sauce and remaining cheese.

Bake uncovered for 30 to 40 minutes. Wait 10 minutes before digging in! So now you know what you get when you cross an enchilada with a lasagna--Enchilasagna!

Per serving: 290 Calories (kcal); 14g Total Fat; (44% calories from fat); 20g Protein; 20g Carbohydrate; 46mg Cholesterol; 552mg Sodium

See how easy that was! It wouldn't be hard to substitute chicken either, or do a veggie version with just black beans. Now you have THREE wonderful casseroles--with nary a soup can or Velveeta hunk to be found!

Recipe excerpted from the book, Healthy Foods: An irreverent guide to understanding nutrition and feeding your family well (Champion Press).

ALSO:
Please feel free to share your favorite homemade whole-wheat bread recipes! I've been experimenting with a few and have yet to find the perfect one for me. (I haven't tried yours yet though, Susan- maybe it's the one I've been searching for!) Any tips on kneading, rising, and the like are highly appreciated. Do you wash your bread pans with soap? I've heard that can make your breads not rise as highly; maybe that's my problem... I'm ready and eager to listen!

3 Comments:

Blogger Samara said...

This. Sounds. DELICIOUS! I can't get enough of either lasagna or enchiladas, both of which my family loves to eat. Thanks for the recipe!

11/17/2005 7:54 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

I'll try to e-mail you tips on bread tomorrow. I'm trying to catch up from my trip this weekend. . . :). I'll e-mail myself so I'll remember.

11/21/2005 10:39 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

Looks like my e-mail will have to wait until this weekend. I've been playing catch-up from last weekend while preparing to leave today for Thanksgiving. Yikes! I still have a reminder note in my inbox :).

11/23/2005 1:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home